CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community
Home Gallery Register Calendar Members List

Go Back   CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community > General Car Discussion > General Automotive Discussion

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Member
 
tylerand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 33
Rep: 11 tylerand is on a distinguished road
Default $500 Chevy Metro

Sooo, somebody my father is working with, is currently selling a 99-01 (not sure on the specific year) Chevy Metro (now... he called it a firefly, but from what i've researched, they're one in the same).To my knowledge it is the 3 cylinder model, one wheel drive with a laughable 55hp. It needs the right side rocker panel replaced, as well as a hole fixed on the muffler (likely get a new muffler). The repairs will be done by myself and my father, so it won't cost too much.

First question of mine would be, is there ANY way i could increase the performance of this crap-box?

Second, should i even consider such a... err, modest vehicle?

tylerand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Retired Staff
 
Retrospekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 599
Rep: 67 Retrospekt will become famous soon enough
Default

They are notorious for rusting through the frame (unibody?) and bending under turns as a result. Check extensively for frame damage.

Also, these cars are absolutely awful. No, there isn't any real way to increase performance. They are utterly slow and unreliable. But if you need an efficient gas saver to get short distances to work or something, it'll work fine.
__________________
Family Cars: (Bold is mine).

1998 Nissan 200sx SE | i4 1.6L | 83,000 miles | Green | Running 100% |

1996 Nissan Sentra | i4 1.6L | 122,000 miles |Black |
2001 Nissan Maxima | V6 3.0L | 94,000 miles | Black |
2010 Toyota Camry | i4 2.5L | 5,500 miles | Silver |
1993 Toyota MR2 | 2.0L i4 560HP | 26psi Boost | Unknown Mileage | White| Scary to drive

Last edited by Retrospekt; 04-18-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Retrospekt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
It's Simple
 
Raptor22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 2,555
Rep: 64 Raptor22 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerand View Post
Sooo, somebody my father is working with, is currently selling a 99-01 (not sure on the specific year) Chevy Metro (now... he called it a firefly, but from what i've researched, they're one in the same).To my knowledge it is the 3 cylinder model, one wheel drive with a laughable 55hp. It needs the right side rocker panel replaced, as well as a hole fixed on the muffler (likely get a new muffler). The repairs will be done by myself and my father, so it won't cost too much.

First question of mine would be, is there ANY way i could increase the performance of this crap-box?

Second, should i even consider such a... err, modest vehicle?
You will get 50MPG out of it, that is the only good thing. Give the guy $300 for the sh.tbox and buy a Thunderbird or something besides just driving to work...

( do you really want to take chicks out in a Metro? )
__________________
Its an MN-12 thing... you wouldnt understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McRae
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."
[1989 Ford Blunderbird / 1985 Ford Conestoga Ox-Cart 4x4 / 2004 Ford Fairmont GT]

Raptor22 is offline Raptor22's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Member
 
tylerand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 33
Rep: 11 tylerand is on a distinguished road
Default

Chicks dig the metro's xD.

But yeah, i was thinking the same thing. Fuel economy isn't really going to be a large issue, so it'd be pretty useless.

tylerand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
It's Simple
 
Raptor22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 2,555
Rep: 64 Raptor22 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerand View Post
Chicks dig the metro's xD.

But yeah, i was thinking the same thing. Fuel economy isn't really going to be a large issue, so it'd be pretty useless.
Exactly. So get 30MPG, and a huge back seat with this instead:

__________________
Its an MN-12 thing... you wouldnt understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McRae
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."
[1989 Ford Blunderbird / 1985 Ford Conestoga Ox-Cart 4x4 / 2004 Ford Fairmont GT]

Raptor22 is offline Raptor22's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Retired Staff
 
Retrospekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 599
Rep: 67 Retrospekt will become famous soon enough
Default

You keep saying that gets 30mpg. I really don't see how that is possible. I'm not accusing you of lying or anything, don't take this the wrong way, I'm just interested! Got any links? Fueleconomy.gov says 23 highway. (I know that's not very reliable, but 23 to 30 is a big jump.)
__________________
Family Cars: (Bold is mine).

1998 Nissan 200sx SE | i4 1.6L | 83,000 miles | Green | Running 100% |

1996 Nissan Sentra | i4 1.6L | 122,000 miles |Black |
2001 Nissan Maxima | V6 3.0L | 94,000 miles | Black |
2010 Toyota Camry | i4 2.5L | 5,500 miles | Silver |
1993 Toyota MR2 | 2.0L i4 560HP | 26psi Boost | Unknown Mileage | White| Scary to drive

Retrospekt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
It's Simple
 
Raptor22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 2,555
Rep: 64 Raptor22 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
You keep saying that gets 30mpg. I really don't see how that is possible. I'm not accusing you of lying or anything, don't take this the wrong way, I'm just interested! Got any links? Fueleconomy.gov says 23 highway. (I know that's not very reliable, but 23 to 30 is a big jump.)


I have one...



I dont drive like a grandma but I also do not drive like a maniac either. The new EPA tests are ridiculous, nobody drives 85MPH with their A/C on full blast with their windows down...

The original EPA ratings were: 19/27

Original EPA Ratings

As someone who drives predominantly in the country at 50-55 MPH, as long as his tires are inflated and his car is in good running condition. I do not see why 30MPG isnt attainable for him...

I already get it in mine.
__________________
Its an MN-12 thing... you wouldnt understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McRae
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."
[1989 Ford Blunderbird / 1985 Ford Conestoga Ox-Cart 4x4 / 2004 Ford Fairmont GT]

Raptor22 is offline Raptor22's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Hammond Hand Luggage
 
cluffenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,704
Rep: 61 cluffenstein will become famous soon enough
Default

I get 40+ in my focus highway, EPA says 35. I can BARELY hit 50 mpg city (like 49.9mpg) if I drive carefully, EPA says 24mpg.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEcull
He may have ruined his cylinder walls and compression wings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124
Yeah. Should hold up fine, long as you don't drive like a primate.

cluffenstein is offline cluffenstein's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Retired Staff
 
Retrospekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 599
Rep: 67 Retrospekt will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffenstein View Post
I get 40+ in my focus highway, EPA says 35. I can BARELY hit 50 mpg city (like 49.9mpg) if I drive carefully, EPA says 24mpg.
You get better city mileage than highway? Do you drive 120 on the highway?
__________________
Family Cars: (Bold is mine).

1998 Nissan 200sx SE | i4 1.6L | 83,000 miles | Green | Running 100% |

1996 Nissan Sentra | i4 1.6L | 122,000 miles |Black |
2001 Nissan Maxima | V6 3.0L | 94,000 miles | Black |
2010 Toyota Camry | i4 2.5L | 5,500 miles | Silver |
1993 Toyota MR2 | 2.0L i4 560HP | 26psi Boost | Unknown Mileage | White| Scary to drive

Retrospekt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Hammond Hand Luggage
 
cluffenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,704
Rep: 61 cluffenstein will become famous soon enough
Default

no, but the highway always has mass traffic and construction
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEcull
He may have ruined his cylinder walls and compression wings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124
Yeah. Should hold up fine, long as you don't drive like a primate.

cluffenstein is offline cluffenstein's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.