CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community
Home Gallery Register Calendar Members List

Go Back   CarForum.net - Car Forums, Automotive News and Community > General Car Discussion > General Automotive Discussion

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Rep: 10 Hydranis is on a distinguished road
Default 2007-2008 Pontiac Solstice?

I've been lurking on here for quite some time on and off. I've been in the market for a sports car and have taken several different vehicles out for some rides and I originally fell in love with Nissan's 350Z.

The turn off to the 350Z is it would cost me about $3000 a year to insure it. We won't go back into that story...

So I've been looking around some more, and I stumbled upon the Solstice GXP. Now, I've known about this car, but I never really looked into it. My biggest question/concern is the fact that they don't make them anymore. Is this going to be a problem if something breaks or needs repairs?

What are the cons to this vehicle that you can come up with? It's a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, pushing a decent 260 HP. With something that gets roughly 28 MPG Highway, I can't beat that at all! ((I'm a fuel economy nut who currently drives a 2008 Nissan Sentra that gets 34-35 MPG Highway))

Let me know what you guys think! Opinions greatly appreciated!

Hydranis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
S D
Veteran Member
 
S D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 1,988
Rep: 64 S D will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydranis View Post
I've been lurking on here for quite some time on and off. I've been in the market for a sports car and have taken several different vehicles out for some rides and I originally fell in love with Nissan's 350Z.

The turn off to the 350Z is it would cost me about $3000 a year to insure it. We won't go back into that story...

So I've been looking around some more, and I stumbled upon the Solstice GXP. Now, I've known about this car, but I never really looked into it. My biggest question/concern is the fact that they don't make them anymore. Is this going to be a problem if something breaks or needs repairs?

What are the cons to this vehicle that you can come up with? It's a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, pushing a decent 260 HP. With something that gets roughly 28 MPG Highway, I can't beat that at all! ((I'm a fuel economy nut who currently drives a 2008 Nissan Sentra that gets 34-35 MPG Highway))

Let me know what you guys think! Opinions greatly appreciated!
Manufacturers are required to make replacement parts for a car for a specified amount of time (over 10 years IIRC), and often continue to make parts for many years after a car is no longer being manufactured.

GM also likes to use parts from one vehicle on another, so many things are directly removed from other vehicles. I was looking at a brake rotor that fit an 80's era cadillac that had 500+ other vehicles it fit as well.

For the most part, these little cars are fun, practical, zippy little cars, albeit very heavy (and safe), but as long as you take care of a solstice/sky it shouldn't have any major issues.

As far as the cons, well, being that it is turbocharged you will want to run good synthetic oil and change it often, it will very likely require premium gasoline, and it will require weekly cleanings to keep it looking nice. Pros and cons vary greatly from person to person. Personally, I don't mind at all that my 240sx has no interior and one seat. Some people might find that unbearable.

I would suggest reading up as much as you can about the car. Maybe even find a solstice forum and see what people who actually own these cars are having difficulties with.

Wikipedia article - Pontiac Solstice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, and an LS engine swap is possible on these as well without any major surgery.
__________________
Simplify, then add lightness

S D is offline S D's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Community Director
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 7,602
Rep: 153 Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMike has a spectacular aura about
Default

Parts won't be a problem, but it isn't going to be any cheaper insurance than a 350Z.
__________________
"He shouted: 'You've won! Didn't you know?' I didn't, and it's about the nicest thing I've ever been told" -Bruce McLaren, 1968 Belgian Grand Prix
Read the rules! | DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM
Daily Driver: 2006 Mazda 3 S sedan - 2.3L I4, 5 speed manual - 78k miles
Girlfriend's Car: 2013 Chevy Volt - 30k miles
Bikes: 1979 Yamaha XS 750


Mike is offline Mike's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Rep: 10 Hydranis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post
Parts won't be a problem, but it isn't going to be any cheaper insurance than a 350Z.
I checked a few quotes already and it's actually about $1500 cheaper for me. A little over $2000 is a big change from the $4000 I was looking at with the Z. Jersey is screwed up



Also, I have a TON of time to mull everything over. I'm not making any sort of purchases for at least 4-5 more months and not until I know everything about the vehicle.

So far I'm enjoying this one because it IS a bit heavier, decent mileage, and still has a bit of pep to it.

Hydranis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Stickers add HP brah
 
TwIsTeDbOi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arooooouuuuuunnnnnddd
Posts: 1,259
Rep: 39 TwIsTeDbOi is on a distinguished road
Default

It's actually lighter. By a good 400lbs to boot. It's got the same amount of torque as the Z but has less horsepower than the Z.
__________________
Quote:
You can't compare German cars to Japanese cars. That's like comparing apples to herpes.
Cheap. Reliable. Fast. In the car world, you can only choose two of those.
2014 Raptor Race Red 801A


TwIsTeDbOi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Rep: 10 Hydranis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi View Post
It's actually lighter. By a good 400lbs to boot. It's got the same amount of torque as the Z but has less horsepower than the Z.
I must have read something wrong, or just switched the numbers in my head.

I'm going to go a local GMC to take a quick look at one before work, just to see up close. I did a search in NJ and there are NOT a lot of these cars up for sale. Less than 100 from what I've seen so far.

Hydranis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Stickers add HP brah
 
TwIsTeDbOi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arooooouuuuuunnnnnddd
Posts: 1,259
Rep: 39 TwIsTeDbOi is on a distinguished road
Default

If I had the cash, I would buy one just for the fact of dropping an LSx motor in it. Same power as a Corvette but already lighter.

Honestly I'd get a Solstice over a lot of cars because, especially the GXP's, they'll be quite collectible. Well, at least the ones that don't get totaled by daddy's little girl who happens to be texting and blow a red light.

For poops and laughs... http://www.v8pontiacsolstice.com/
__________________
Quote:
You can't compare German cars to Japanese cars. That's like comparing apples to herpes.
Cheap. Reliable. Fast. In the car world, you can only choose two of those.
2014 Raptor Race Red 801A


Last edited by TwIsTeDbOi; 11-26-2010 at 08:39 PM.

TwIsTeDbOi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Rep: 10 Hydranis is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, I'm going to have to wait until next April to even look at one anyway. All of the Solstice's in NJ have been put away for the winter, so I can't even look at one from a dealership.

Hydranis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.